Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Politeness and manners

I was going to post this blog yesterday (the 12th) but as I mentioned in today's other post, I ran out of time and ability not to pass out. In any case here it is...

As you all probably know I was raised in Scotland, part of the United Kingdom and home of all the books on manners from almost all eras. The British pride themselves on their manners and general politeness and for some people the greatest crime is to be rude or impolite.

When I was younger its true that people were friendlier and more courteous to strangers, Scotland still is a very friendly place, but the overall level is dropping. In part I suppose it mat be a break down of the class boundaries, the increase in casual culture, the rise of the Chav/Ned in "popular" culture, or its just an ennui with the norms of our forefathers, or all of the above. In any case its a shame that its happening.

Before I came to Canada I knew that the people were meant to be friendly. The world view of Canada tends to be that its the smaller cousin of the USA where people are generally nicer and don't kill each other as much (travellers from the USA will often pretend to be Canadians abroad). They also think its snowy all year, that polar bears roam widely and there are igloos all over the place (here's a compilation of questions people have asked about Canada).

Anyway I was almost digressing, in my time here in Canada I've found that in general the Canadian people, whatever their creed or colour, are extremely polite (apart from the odd idiot naturally, especially of the ghetto variety), they are genuinely pleased to make your acquaintance (or at least pretend they are much better than most other people I've met).

In the USA when someone tells you to "have a nice day" most of the time you feel like they really wish you'd die on the way home and never bother them again, its almost used as a cudgel of nicety, "HAVE *bash* A NICE *thud* DAY!!!! *smash*, but in Canada, they use it the way its intended, "have a nice day (nice person who didn't ruin my day)". Its really sweet and makes me feel warm inside.

I have always been a friendly and polite person, although with age I'm finding it harder to "suffer fools gladly", but that's just world weariness creeping in. That said I feel more at home here. When I walk the streets, either with or without Blackie, people are more likely to say hello to me as I approach, quick to smile and enquire about your well being. Sure that's not everyone, I'd be lying if I said otherwise, but the majority of people I've met randomly have been really nice. In social situations the people I've met have been generally nicer too.

Most of my experience comes from friends and family of my fiancee Kata, which certainly speaks of her character (friends) and upbringing (family). There is an underlying trend in Canadians though. In the cities, even Toronto, people live a faster pace of life (although apart from Toronto its glacial compared to the UK) but the people are still really nice. In the towns life is even more sedate and seemingly the people are even nicer, although my experience on that part is limited to Ontario and for all I know the people in Manitoba could be horrendous, but from the few Manitobans I've known, they've been nice too.

All in all, I'm saying Canadians are a sweet nation of people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Manitoba has the worst drivers in Canada.